Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What Makes This Piece a "Perfect" Representation of Art??












Garden Path ("Viale Del Giardino")
Claude Monet
French Impressionist
1902










When prompted to find a piece of art that I believed was a perfect representation of art I was overwhelmed. As a result of my major, accounting, my brain thinks in rules and exact figures. To complete this assignment I was forced to not only consider what I believed art was, but also ponder what made art "perfect". Since I LOVE gardens and flowers I chose the first image of foliage that caught my eye while browsing art websites.

The piece featured above was painted by Claude Monet in 1902. Since I did not know much about Monet (or art at all...) I did a little "google search" to inform myself. Apparently Monet is credited as the founder of an artistic movement known as Impressionism... This revelation led to more research about impressionism and what I learned surprised me! Impressionists were the art world's radicals during the 19th century, disregarding the rules of "academic painting".

I consider "Garden Path" by Claude Monet to be a perfect representation of art because:
  • It has inspiration
  • It is interesting and eye-catching
  • It has a classic medium (paint on canvas)
  • It has bold, beautiful colors
  • The scene is inviting to viewers, evoking emotions and memories
  • I enjoy art that features and beautifies nature

No comments:

Post a Comment