Monday, September 21, 2009

I guess it grew on me...








Feathered Edge
Installation by Ball-Nogues Studio
at MOCA Pacific Design Center
I was looking at pieces on Contemporary Art Museum Websites and when I came across Feathered Edge (pictured above) I didn't even see the actual piece. I was looking at thumbnails, so all I could make out was the gallery space, which is the real reason that I looked into the piece at all. When I finally took in the whole picture, I was kinda impressed. This surprised me because I am not the most open-minded person to art beyond paintings and sculptures. I enjoyed the colors the most at first. Taking them in I wondered if the string was colored before it was hung or if it was painted or dyed while in position. While my eyes followed the colors I noticed that Feathered Edge was composed of probably hundreds of draped loops of string. I didn't even notice the pictures of the piece hung on the wall in the background for like five minutes because I was entranced by the hanging strings. The pictures add a whole new dimesnsion to the piece that I had to take in, one by one. I liked the piece more after seeing them because the colors seem more intense in the pictures.
Upon further research I learned that this piece is composed of over 21 miles of colored string!!! The gallery I found the piece on also features a video on the "making of" Feathered Edge (http://www.moca.org/audio/#ballnogues) by Benjamin Ball and Gaston Nogues. Ball and Nogues are also responsible for intallation art pieces in Venice and Las Vegas. I look forward to viewing more installation art pieces in the future, because this one really intrigued me... I only wish I could have it at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment